24/7 Emergency Service :

Dangerous Health Risks Caused by Molds

a mold infested wall

If ever you get the urge to constantly scratch that irresistible itch or let loose a frenzy of sneezes, do not only look at the possible allergens outside, but also inside your home. You may be exposed more to dust, dirt, and pollen outside; however, there is an organism that can be lurking behind the walls, between the tiles, and above the ceiling of your home that can activate your allergy symptoms.

Molds are small yet slimy organisms that love to grow in dark, humid, and damp places; you usually see them between your bathroom tiles or the parts of your home that are usually moist. Now, you might think that molds are easily removed and eradicated because of their size and vulnerability; however, if they are not treated or remediated correctly, they will be able to take over your home and lead to hazardous health risks.

In order for mold to reproduce, it diffuses its spores into the air around your home and travels via the air to look for more dark and humid places to manifest. What do spores have to do with your health, you ask? Some spores, though invisible to the naked eye, are the primary reason for most home allergy causes. Their surface is covered with a toxin called mycotoxin which, if constantly exposed to, leads to the many allergy related sicknesses and diseases known today.

Some of the primary symptoms that are caused by molds are:

  • Itching
  • Developing Rashes
  • Having Trouble with Breathing
  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Sinus Problems
  • Runny Nose
  • Eye Irritation
  • Throat Irritation
  • Sneezing

If you allow the mold to grow into your home, these primary symptoms may get out of hand and may develop asthma or lung cancer to those who have a sensitive immune system.

The Different Types of Molds

Not all molds are life-threatening, but it is best that you have the basic knowledge of what kind of mold to look for when it comes to dealing with health issues. Basically, there are three types of mold: (1) allergenic, (2) pathogenic, and (3) toxic.

  • Allergenic molds are the non-life-threatening type, but can be irritable to those who are sensitive. The presence of mold can induce itching, sneezing, and irritation to the eye; children who are exposed to allergens will develop allergies in the future, so do not take this type of mold lightly.
  • Pathogenic molds are the ones that affect your immune system and have the ability to grow in your lungs. With enough exposure, you may exhibit the early signs of various respiratory diseases (e.g. hypersensitivity pneumonitis).
  • Toxic molds are the ones for which you need to be on high alert. These molds are the ones that produce mycotoxins on their spores. If ever you find a toxic mold in your home, immediately call the professionals to have it removed.

Molds are secondary damages caused by water and can be removed through mold remediation; if ever you are in need of a restoration company around the surrounding areas of Paris, Texas, then we, at LMS Restoration, are the professionals you need. We are experts when it comes to the field of water and fire & smoke damage restoration, assuring all our clients that after every job, we bring their property back to its pre-disaster condition. Call us at: 903-229-4846 or visit our contact page any time. Our operators are on-line 24/7!